South Davis Water Polo
Practices begin February 11th.
Facebook: South Davis Water Polo
South Davis Water Polo Spring Teams:
18U/16U Boys and Girls Teams (High School Varsity and Junior Varsity)
These teams are made primarily of high school players. They are essentially our Spring Varsity and JV teams. Players on these teams are experienced, skilled, and used to the physical nature of the sport. Our club has both a girls and boys team at this level.
14U (sometimes referred to as Junior High Teams)
This team(s) is primarily junior high school players. Depending on registration numbers, there may be boy-only and girl-only teams, or co-ed teams. Players at this level are still learning the game and developing experience and skills to compete at the next level.
12U and 10U (sometimes referred to as the Grade School Team) *Must be able to swim 200 yards continuously and tread water for 3 min
Typically made up of players in the 4th – 6th grades, our grade school program is designed for those athletes who want to learn the sport in a fun atmosphere without the same level of aggressive spirit that comes with Junior High and High School level of playing.
This team is expected to play by the fundamental rules with no flotation device assistance and no standing on the pool floor. A certain level of swimming proficiency is expected in this age group.
Splashball/Learn to Play Water Polo
Ages: Elementary school age and those new to the sport looking to build skills
These classes are taught by former or current members of our 18U team or other parent coaches and focuses on developing skills needed to play water polo, such as treading water, throwing and catching one handed, swimming with the ball, and other basics of the game.
Registarion will all be on Team Snap account. Follow THIS link to register. You will be prompted to create an account if you don’t already have one.
Spring 2019 SDWP Practice Times
February 11 through Mid-May 2019
18U/16U Boys and Girls Teams*
2:45 pm to 4:30 pm Pool Time
4:30 to 5:00 Chalk time…talking strategies, game play etc.
Monday through Friday 3:30 to 4:30
12U and 10U Team*
Friday 5:00 – 6:00 pm
Practices will be at the South Davis Recreation Center Competition Pool. Check calendar on teamSnap for pool closures due to swim meets, etc.
Players need to be to games on time, generally 30-60 minutes prior to game time (determined by coach) for warm ups. On time also means the player is “on deck” (on the side of the pool) suited up, and ready to get in the pool at the given warm up time.
The team fees are as follows:
- Spring 2019 High School/ Jr. High Water Polo – SDRC Member – $410
- Spring 2019 High School/Jr. High Water Polo – SDRC Non-Member – $425
- Spring 2019 Gradeschool (grades 4-6) Water Polo – SDRC Member $100
- Spring 2019 Gradeschool (grades 4-6) Water Polo – SDRC Non-Member – $115
- Splashball (introductory level for young kids) -SDRC Member – $65
- Splashball (introductory level for young kids) -SDRC non-member – $80
- First Year Players with the club will also be responsible for an equipment fee of $25
***Registered players will receive a water polo swim suit and team shirt with their registration and that is already included in their regular fee.
USA Water Polo Fee
Each player must have a USA Water Polo Membership. USA Water Polo (USAWP or USWP) is the governing entity for water polo play. A BRONZE LEVEL membership is required to play in any league game. Parents are responsible for getting their player registered, and maintaining a current status. Memberships are $40 and are valid for the calendar year. (However, USA Water Polo often runs a promotion for new Fall Memberships + 2019 membership at a reduced cost of approximately $55. This promotion will not be available until September 1st. If you are interested in the reduced cost for fall and spring memberships, please talk to Jill Norman at 801.783.7915.) A membership card will be sent in the mail to you. Please keep this and put it in the player’s game bag. Although we try hard to not need individual membership cards each game, it’s helpful to have you membership card at the game, in case something goes wrong. Players will not be able to be put on the game’s roster without this membership.
Our website has basic information and announcements. For up to date communications and calendar, our team will be using Team Snap.
Send questions to this email and it will be routed to the right member of the team’s committee for an answer. Players and parents, if you have something to communicate with a coach please email them at email@example.com.
Facebook: South Davis Water Polo
Post here to access the whole South Davis Water Polo community. This is the best place to post for non-official team events or comments, such as a social get together. It is not monitored by the team committee regularly. For time-sensitive requests or comments, please use Team Snap.
The following gear is recommended for players.
- SUITS: In water polo, boys wear water polo swimsuits/speedos, and girls wear a water polo suit, which is high necked and zippered in back. Jammers are allowed during play for boys in the 14U and 12U divisions. Speedo style suits for boys are required during games for 16U / 18U / Varsity teams. Swim trunks or board shorts are heavily discouraged for practices and not allowed during games. Water polo specific suits are constructed to be more durable and to withstand the rigor of the sport better than regular swimsuits. If you choose to buy a suit other than the team suit, purchase a suit that is 100% black. (with exception to possible stitching color difference)
- Water Polo Caps (not swim caps, but numbered caps with ear protection for games) will be provided by the team. Coaches will bring them to and from the games. They do not go home with players.
- Swim caps are recommended for those with long hair as the Water Polo Caps do not contain the hair well. Swim caps are worn underneath the water polo cap. If you require a swim cap, please purchase two white caps and two solid dark colored caps. Goalies wearing swim caps must have red caps. Please keep two of each color option on you at all times as these can break with normal wear and tear.
- Goggles are not worn in water polo.
- Mouth guards are strongly suggested for players, especially older ones. Moldable ones are preferred. Check with Bountiful Orthodontics to see if they have some available. Dani Fowler works at Bountiful Orthodontics and they are willing to sell us these awesome mouthguards for $25 each. Be sure to tell them you are with South Davis Water Polo. You may also buy them online at https://www.sisuguard.com/mouthguards. They are heat moldable up to 20 times, are easier to breath with, and they are the official mouthguards for USA Water Polo.
- Fingernail and toenail clippers: Nails must be neatly trimmed before each game. They will be checked by the refs before being allowed to play.
- USA Water Polo I.D. Cards: Players will be required to show proof of membership before each game. Until your official I.D. card arrives, print out a temporary membership card from the USA Water Polo website. Be sure to upload a CURRENT picture of your player each time you renew the membership or sign up for the first time.
- A water bottle for both games and practices.
Car Pooling Policy
Parents are responsible for getting their kids to the game. We encourage all families to come and support their players during the games. If carpooling, parents need to give permission to and verify with the driver individually that there is a seatbelt in the car for their player. There will be no dropping off players at the rec center without this prior permission and verification that there is room.
Each water polo family is asked to volunteer each season. In the fall we ask that at least 2 hours are donated per family. Volunteering opportunities include helping with team building events, service projects, games, banquets, and tournaments. We will send out sign ups as needs arise throughout the season. Please let us know if there is something particular that you would like to do.