South Davis Water Polo
Fall Season 2022
South Davis Water Polo Fall Teams:
To register please contact Jill Norman at 801-783-7915
18U Boys and Girls Teams (High School Age)
These teams are made primarily of high school players.
Games – Aug. 20 – Oct. 8
Games will be held at KOPFC (Kearns) and other Salt Lake Valley pools.
Practices start Aug. 15 and will be held at Skyline due to South Davis Rec pool closure.
Cost $180, SDRC members pay $160
Youth Age – 14U mixed & 12U mixed
Games Sept. 2 – Oct. 29
Games will be played on Saturdays, possibly some Friday nights mostly at KOPFC (Kearns)
Practices start Aug. 22 and will be held at Skyline due SDRC pool closure.
Based on age as of Aug. 1, 2022
Cost $95, SDRC members pay $75
USA Water Polo Fee
Each player must have a USA Water Polo Membership. USA Water Polo (USAWP or USWP) is the governing entity for water polo play. A BRONZE LEVEL membership is required to play in any league game. Parents are responsible for getting their player registered and maintaining a current status. Memberships are $40 and are valid for the calendar year. (However, USA Water Polo often runs a promotion for new Fall Memberships + 2022 membership at a reduced cost of approximately $55. This promotion will not be available until September 1st. If you are interested in the reduced cost for fall and spring memberships, please talk to Jill Norman at 801.783.7915.) A membership card will be sent in the mail to you. Please keep this and put it in the player’s game bag. Although we try hard to not need individual membership cards each game, it’s helpful to have your membership card at the game, in case something goes wrong. Players will not be able to be put on the game’s roster without this membership.
Our website has basic information and announcements.
For up-to-date communications and calendar, our team will be using Team Snap.
The following gear is recommended for players.
- SUITS: In water polo, boys wear water polo swimsuits/speedos, and girls wear a water polo suit, which is high necked and zippered in back. Jammers are allowed during play for boys in the 14U and 12U divisions. Speedo style suits for boys are required during games for 16U / 18U / Varsity teams. Swim trunks or board shorts are heavily discouraged for practices and not allowed during games. Water polo specific suits are constructed to be more durable and to withstand the rigor of the sport better than regular swimsuits. If you choose to buy a suit other than the team suit, purchase a suit that is 100% black. (With exception to possible stitching color difference)
- Water Polo Caps (not swim caps, but numbered caps with ear protection for games) will be provided by the team. Coaches will bring them to and from the games. They do not go home with players.
- Swim caps are recommended for those with long hair as the Water Polo Caps do not contain the hair well. Swim caps are worn underneath the water polo cap. If you require a swim cap, please purchase two white caps and two solid dark colored caps. Goalies wearing swim caps must have red caps. Please keep two of each color option on you at all times as these can break with normal wear and tear.
- Goggles are not worn in water polo.
- Mouth guards are strongly suggested for players, especially older ones. Moldable ones are preferred. Check with Bountiful Orthodontics to see if they have some available. Dani Fowler works at Bountiful Orthodontics, and they are willing to sell us these awesome mouthguards for $25 each. Be sure to tell them you are with South Davis Water Polo. You may also buy them online at https://www.sisuguard.com/mouthguards. They are heat moldable up to 20 times, are easier to breath with, and they are the official mouthguards for USA Water Polo.
- Fingernail and toenail clippers: Nails must be neatly trimmed before each game. They will be checked by the refs before being allowed to play.
- USA Water Polo I.D. Cards: Players will be required to show proof of membership before each game. Until your official I.D. card arrives, print out a temporary membership card from the USA Water Polo website. Be sure to upload a CURRENT picture of your player each time you renew the membership or sign up for the first time.
- A water bottle for both games and practices.
Car Pooling Policy
Parents are responsible for getting their kids to the game. We encourage all families to come and support their players during the games. If carpooling, parents need to give permission to and verify with the driver individually that there is a seatbelt in the car for their player. There will be no dropping off players at the rec center without this prior permission and verification that there is room.
Each water polo family is asked to volunteer each season. In the fall we ask that at least 2 hours are donated per family. Volunteering opportunities include helping with team building events, service projects, games, banquets, and tournaments. We will send out sign ups as needs arise throughout the season. Please let us know if there is something particular that you would like to do.